Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Still alive...

This morning as I was walking back into my room I saw a funny something on the hall floor. I decided to take a closer look and to my surprise there was a squished scorpion! It appeared fairly freshly squished, and as I was in bare feet (as I always am in the house), it was a pretty fair guess that I had not done the squishing. Rachel always wears shoes in the house, so I wondered if she had either a) freaked out and managed to kill it without me hearing, or b) in a state of blissful unawareness stepped on it on her way to the bathroom. I asked her at lunch if she had killed a critter in the hall that morning, and she said, "*gasp* No, what was it?!?!?" I can't believe she managed to step full on a scorpion and not notice! I guess it was God's birthday present to her...

We had another great big storm here--I can't wait till the blue skies of dry season roll in! I'm also hoping it dries up as much as possible before Beth and I head off for our town trip. We both want to try and get our Zambian licenses, do some shopping, and have some down time off station. I really enjoyed my Christmas holiday here, but I'm starting to get a little 'station crazy.' It's not like I'm used to being able to go off wherever I want whenever I want, but being so far out in the back of beyond makes you appreciate the simplicity of travel back home!

Well, I'd better go to bed--mushy brains do not a good teacher make!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think you deserve some time off from the station.. Have you been practicing driving so you can pass the test?? Hope the roads are better this time you go than that last trip. Did they ever fix the gully in the middle of the road? Have a good wk. end. Hugs, gw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness me. I'm so glad the scorpion is no longer. You would have had to scrape me down from the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete