Monday, October 16, 2017

I eat another kind of bug, get a shot, and cut my nose in an unorthodox manner

So, last week was a bit crazy. In the yeah, ain’t got time for a blog post kind of way. Recovering from half-term/sports tour was the big project. So, here are some highlights.

We had a few big, soaking rains over half-term! There was a river around my house for a while there…

The kids made it ‘snow’ with little flowers after bag supper on Friday. Hey, you make do with what you got!

I experimented with double boiler leftover reheating as I can only light my oven when we have 240 power, and used old panty hose to stuff cracks as bug proofing. Living the dream folks!

I potted Groot and put him outside,

and the flying ants (ntuswa) came out in force, dropping their wings in clouds as they did. The kids caught a bunch, the cook fried them, and I tried eating one the next day. Way better than caterpillars—nice and crunchy!!

In the big news around station, we put in some liquid soap dispensers. I was wondering what could be more marvelous than escalators (no, I’m not joking). Well, now I know—soap dispensers! When they were installed on Friday, there was a non-stop potty parade all afternoon to check them out.

A few other highlights include,

I got my yellow fever shot for free via an initiative of the Zambian health board. Nice to finally have that done… All the students who hadn’t had it already received the shot as well. Zambia is not an area of yellow fever concern usually, so I hope they are just being safe.

I smashed my guitar into my nose right before assembly last week, and didn’t realize I was bleeding till halfway through. Oddly enough no one pointed that fact out to me, as usually they are all OVER that kind of thing. That and spelling mistakes on PowerPoints. Thankfully, the damage wasn’t great despite how it felt for the first minute!

Ruthie, Anna, and I took the 5-6 girls for a craft over half-term. No pictures were taken for my part as my hands were busy, but it went well. I hope we can make a difference in these young lives…

Finally, in the small yet important victories category, I unclogged my bathroom sink. Yay for drainage!

Parting shot: Grade 1-2 Sunday school yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment