Monday, May 7, 2018

Close encounters of the snake kind, a new term, and 24 hour power again!

Well, the students are back, and term 2, 2018 has started! I was missing 6 students on Saturday, so we just talked about a few new things I’m going to be trying, did the “Span the greatest distance” activity, and started work on a big poster project. I am going to be trying to do quite to teach my students about and encourage having a growth mindset this term; I can’t wait to see the finished project! Today, Monday, was our first full day of school, and things went pretty well. I'm super excited about several of the topics we are learning about this term, and hope the kids will be too!

This afternoon while I was coming back from my bike ride on the airstrip, I turned the corner of a road on the edge of station and found a large cobra crossing the road just beside me. It looked pretty surprised to see a person on a bicycle coming through, and I was pretty surprised that that stick that looked rather snakelike was actually a snake. I decided the best course of action was to keep going, and I assume the snake carried on with his day after I passed. It sure got my heart rate up though! I'm so thankful that the snake wasn't aggressive, and I didn't have to find out if I can cycle faster than a cobra!

A huge praise around here is that the hydro station that has been offline for repairs for the last 3 ½ weeks is finally back up and running again! Having power 24 a day is a pretty big deal… It means that the kitchen can operate normally, teachers can photocopy at any time, and laundry can run when it needs to. It's amazing what a difference having constant power makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment