Monday, June 25, 2018

Very dry, but not very cold this 'winter'

Sorry I didn't update last week. Not a lot had happened, and I was super busy, and it turns out starting to come down with the plague that has not stopped sweeping the school since the beginning of term. Here are a few pictures and highlights to convince you that I'm not totally boring!

* I now am teaching spelling to my students two times a week as the usual spelling teacher is on furlough. This means I have two less preparation periods a week, and makes Tuesday a little wilder, but it's only for three more weeks. Last week grade 2 had a pretty good lesson in music class; we're working on treble clef notation. I've been surprised by how different people do with that.

* I killed a bushy-tailed mouse in my kitchen; it was pretty dramatic. There was broom smacking, no support from my cat, and some fast footwork around the kitchen. That weekend I scrubbed out the mess it had made of my cupboards, and so far all seems to be well. What a hassle!

* We finished up astronomy in science, and started on ancient Egypt in history class. Playing with hieroglyphs is a lot of fun!

* Our biggest chota is due for a rethatching; you can see the supplies piled up inside, and the difference in color of the grass on the inside from the outer layer. I love watching the men work on thatching; it's such a practical and cheap way to cover a roof out here.

* It has been a very mild dry season; there has really only been one cold week so far. We even had a sprinkling of rain last week after a few overcast days! I haven't pulled out my heater, because there hasn't been a need for it.

There are just three more weeks before I head home for my sister's wedding! There is a lot to do before then, but I'm looking forward to the time with family, and the break. Yes, helping with a wedding sounds like a nice, relaxing change of pace!

Parting shot: Though things are really starting to dry out, there are a few lovely flowers still blooming:

No comments:

Post a Comment