Monday, June 13, 2011

In which I make Smurf shoes and get some things done.

Today is the first of our half-term days, and I’ve managed to have a some one-on-one recorder time with about half my students, get two sets of papers marked, supervised the kids for their morning swim down at the pool, felted a pair of slippers, and made some bread and cookies. I’ve also fit in a few hugs for my cat, and a few chapters of a book.

The reason I said I made Smurf shoes, is because the felted slippers that were supposed to be an elegant ballet flat in a vibrant blue, didn’t quite shape out as promised, and created shoes definitely reminiscent of Smurfs. Oh well, at least they will keep my smurfy feet warm…

This weekend I lit my first fire and enjoyed an evening of letter writing and marking complete with crackling flames, hot chocolate, and classical music. Yes, I am that helplessly nerdy! Since my house has cement floors, it can get quite cold inside in June and July, so that is one reason why I was making slippers, and it’s also why I was so excited that my house had a fireplace. One of my favorite childhood memories is of eating a special breakfast of cinnamon toast and milky tea in front of the fire while my mother read to us. This was while we lived at Mukingi, and I’ve always remembered how special it was to not only get TEA, but also to start the morning off in such a cozy way. I’m so thankful that my parents understood how important it was to make little moments like that special. Enjoying a fire is still one of my favorite ways to spend an evening, and this is the perfect season for that.

My class just finished up its science units, and now its time to start our India social studies topic. I’m not sure if I have a novel that will work to read with the unit—Kipling’s Kim is a little over my kids heads, and I can’t think of another book that is educational enough to put with the social studies unit. Hmm… I’m slowly slogging through The City of Joy, and I think that I’ll be able to read parts of it (it’s a rather long book!) once I finish reading through the whole thing. I didn’t get near as much reading done this term break as I wanted to…

Well, I had better be going. There are lots more papers yet to mark, and a few things to figure out for the end of term program before I can go to bed tonight. Yay for half-term!

3 comments:

  1. I recommend "Rikki-tikki-tavi", from the Jungle Book. Short, and full of Indian references. Here's a complete lesson plan for Gr. 3-5 (UK) on the story: http://edsitement.neh.gov/lesson-plan/rudyard-kiplings-rikki-tikki-tavi-mixing-fact-and-fiction#sect-introduction

    Chris Sheach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Chris solved your problem for you.(smile) Glad you have the fireplace to enjoy. Too often people wait for big things to bring enjoyment & miss the lovely moments around them. Have a good week..Hugs gw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion Chris! I read it to the kids today as an intro activity; they all seemed to enjoy it. I think I'll read some of those other stories lurking at the back of The Jungle Book as well--it is such a good example of British Imperialism.

    ReplyDelete