Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The break so far

This term break has not gone exactly as I had anticipated; a bad chase of bronchitis evolving into a nasty head cold have left me pretty useless, but between the coughing and the sleeping I have managed to get a few things done.

*Beth and I are in charge of the morning teas for the Brass Tacks teams, so we have been having fun baking up stuff for the guys to enjoy.

*Beth and I also had the Brass Tacks people over for a meal--a little of a challenge with my small table, but it worked out really well in the end. It's so nice to have people over!

*I'm in charge of the day watchman and the two night watchmen's trays, so I've also been involved in the veggie buying.

*Next term I'm going to be teaching "Europe in the Middle Ages" for social studies, so I've been doing a lot of reading to prepare for that.

*Leah (a former teacher) is visiting from Canada, and we have been reading a G. A. Henty book together as well as doing different cooking projects.

*Beth and I went to Kalene yesterday (the closest mission station--it's about an hour away) to check out the market for chetengi. Kalene is really close to Congo, so they get nicer material and (sometimes) a better variety than we get in Ikelenge. While there wasn't near as good a selection as when we went last year, we both managed to find several chetengi to give as gifts when next we're home.

*Beth and I also took a little side trip out to the rapids yesterday as we were in the neighborhood. The river river bed there is made up of huge slabs of rock, polished by decades of water thundering over them. Right now there is very little water going over as we are well into the dry season. Beth and I waded across and had fun taking pictures, sitting with our feet in the frigid water, and generally enjoying the wonders of God's creation. We are so going to have to go back there again!

2 comments:

  1. Hope the cold & cough are leaving now.. Plenty of sleep, water to drink & take your vitamins is my remedy!! Ha..Glad you have some company to give a lift & change from teaching.. Hugs, gw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore out a swimsuit in one day from sliding down the rapids when I was a kid . . .

    ReplyDelete