Thursday, April 17, 2014

Peace and Quiet, and Malaria

I've been enjoying the restfulness of the holidays--it's so nice to be free to putter about, to pursue projects you have been putting off, and to get rested up. I've been working on some school projects as well as some fun ones; I've almost finished writing/editing the history answer key for the year, and I've been reading in preparation for literature and history class. We've finally had some nice weather after all that rain, so I've been able to enjoy my walks on the airstrip without splashing through the puddles.

Beth got sick this weekend, and I ended up doing my first very malaria test on her.

The test came back positive, and as she had a really nasty case I moved her up to my house so I could take care of her. After wishing she was dead for two days, Beth was able to move back to her house and continue recuperating. We think she picked it up while we were in town (it is not at all uncommon for people who have been traveling to get malaria--it's been a long time since any staff members have picked it up here), so I've been watching myself for symptoms as I went everywhere she did. I've had a headache for the last two days, but as it's better today I'm hoping it was just a fluke. Praise the Lord for Beth's healing, and I'm so thankful that it was during the holidays when I had time to nurse her. I don't remember having malaria as a kid, but after watching what Beth went through you had better believe I suddenly got really faithful about taking my anti-malarial! During the holiday it's easy to forget because I'm not in the dining hall, but this has been a good reminder for both of us.

It's going to be a quiet Easter here on station; most people are on holiday elsewhere, and those who are here are enjoying having some personal time. A part of me misses celebrating with the kids, but at the same time I'm glad that I'm not teaching this week so there is more time to reflect and rejoice. Praise the Lord for His great work which covers ALL nations and ALL people in ALL times!

No comments:

Post a Comment