Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Last Weekend on...

Whew—only two more weeks left of term 2! This is exam week in my classroom, and it will be interesting to see how the grade 6’s handle their first Miss B exams… I will also be writing report cards this week, but the good news is that they were greatly streamlined for first and second term, so it shouldn’t be quite the herculean labor that it has been in years past.

This was my last weekend on, and it was a busy one as I was in charge of Sunday lunch since the cook headed out for a quick furlough last week. So, that meant that I measured out the dry ingredients for pancakes for super (66 cups of flour), and made a large batch of peanut butter cookies for staff teas (8 cups of flour). I helped finish up Sunday morning dishes, and then I sliced up four large roasts for Sunday dinner. I helped serve up the kids plates and supervised seconds and thirds. After making sure everything was being put away and cleared up, I headed home to finish getting ready for Sunday school. The four grade 9 students were teaching, but I had the singing and a few things to put out for them. Thankfully they were well prepared, because I was called back to the kitchen to get something out that was forgotten while I was there. Then I had a chance to take a walk on the airstrip and have a little time to myself before supper. I had been worrying about it a bit all week, so I was very thankful that things went so smoothly! Yet another new experience to add to my life skills list… Also, the kitchen guys are doing an outstanding job of stepping up and getting things done while the cook is away.

They have been re-thatching one of our chalets this past week, and I have enjoyed watching the process. I find it fascinating to see how they make such great roofs with bark rope and dry grass. Here is a picture of the old thatch and the mat they put over the frame, and then the first layer of thatch going on.

As I go into this week, prayers for stamina would be appreciated. There is a lot to accomplish between now and next Tuesday night when reports are due, and a nasty cold is spreading through the school like…a cold at a boarding school. Also, this past week my shoulder has been acting up more, and all that meat cutting yesterday doesn’t seem to have helped. I’m not in agony, but having a constant discomfort does have an effect on your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment