Monday, March 19, 2018

Birthday Party and Some Student Art

Sorry for the lack of update last week; I struggled through that week and there really wasn't much to say about it. This last week was birthday party--a three day trial for teachers, and an interesting study in the absorption and reaction to sugar in children. The theme was Zambia, and my table's cake was a pineapple. No, I didn't make it; I was waaaay too busy on cake decorating day!

There was some lovely art as always decorating the dining hall; this is one of my student's pastel drawing of a lion.

This week in history class we tried out hands at writing in cuneiform; I am so fascinated by how intricate this photographic writing packed on little clay tablets was!

For St. Patrick's Day on Saturday, I made Celtic knots with my 3rd and 4th grade girls. It was a stretch for a few of them, but I was pretty pleased with the results as a whole.

Last week one of the 4th grade girls broke her arm; it's been a bit of a process, but as of today she's all casted and ready to finish off the last two weeks of school. It's really amazing, all things considered, how *few* injuries we have!

If you think about it, prayers for this weary, battered teacher as she tackles the last two weeks of a brutal term would be appreciated. I have so many challenges in my classroom right now that I feel overwhelmed and inadequate on a minutely basis; there is just so much need. I know I could never be all even one person needs, but it's hard to know where to lay down the sword in this oh so important fight for these young lives.

There is also a lot to think about in the next month--my taxes (always a fun challenge for someone living overseas and being self-employed!), buying my ticket for my trip home for my sister's wedding, a much needed trip to town to get new shoes, and continuing to think and plan for the future. I'm trying to be wise as well as trusting of the Lord, and once I have a free minute to think about something other than my students I expect things to hit a little harder.

Parting shot: Some more of the string art Ruthie and I did with the kids over half-term; a few more were finished up this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the design of the pineapple cake shown in the picture. Was actually looking for some cake designs as I’m baking one for my daughter’s birthday. I’ll definitely go with this pineapple design and it doesn’t look too hard to make. While I’m working on the cake and other food items, my husband in busy decorating the party hall that we booked at a popular convention center.

    ReplyDelete