Tuesday, March 6, 2018

I life my eyes unto the hills

Last week was the kind of week that makes you reconsider your vocation, throw around the idea of changing your name and running away to a deserted island somewhere, or wonder if there would be enough parents or teachers on the jury to acquit you. A week where I was lied to by my students, stolen from by my students, had an unknown number of students cheat, had every last nerve and a few I didn't know I had stood on, endured way too much pre-school level behavior from my middle schoolers (you don't want to know), and basically was worn down till I wasn't sure I could face a weekend on. I spent almost the whole weekend supervising kids (thank goodness my longest weekend is on is now over!), and as I was taking my laundry home to hang it up Saturday evening (because I didn't have time before), I looked up and saw this:

One of the reasons I love my exercise time on the airstrip so much, is the wild skies here remind me to look up and marvel at the greatness of our God. While I love East Texas passionately, it is rare to get the kind of sweeping views of the sky and the fantastic cloud sculptures at home that we get out here. Looking up is a physical and a spiritual reminder that there is more to life than what is on the ground and bogging me down right now. It is a reminder that I serve a God who paints the sky with fire--because it's beautiful. I serve a God who sweeps the sky clean after a storm and adorns it with a double rainbow. I serve a God who is so much bigger than me, that whatever I've got on my plate, I can bear because of Him. Thankfully 'Jonah' weeks come to an end, students adjust their behavior, and teachers get a bit of desperately needed sleep. As we go into the back half of this very trying term, I'm going to keep working on looking up--looking above my struggle at my Savior who said that His yoke was easy, and His burden light. The One who has promised to never leave or forsake me, and who wants the best for these kids more than I ever could. Excelsior!

No comments:

Post a Comment