Monday, October 29, 2018

Last Independence Day

Last week I had every intention of updating, but as I had to make a 'shopping' trip with a coworker into Ikelenge, I ended up being a bit behind. We were held up by a truck that was being loaded with pineapples right after our bridge, but thankfully they were able to get them all on board fairly quickly so we could continue to 'town.'

We were going to look for chetengi for the end of term show, and I was looking for something to use as a cat basket. I didn't find that, but I did find a nice kanga that I had to come home with!

Zambian Independence Day is October 24th, and we always have a busy day of down at the pool. We start by gathering for the flag raising ceremony and a brief message before getting ready for the swimming gala.

Then it's a busy morning and usually first part of the afternoon of swimming races and challenges for all ages. My job is to get the kids to their races on time and keep track of where we are in the program. They were pretty good at listening this year.

This year I took part in the 'drag n' dump' house contest and was enthusiastically pulled across the pool and tipped over three times. I also helped with house dominoes. Part of the reason I got in the pool this year is because it is my last year. Also, I made a deal with one of my students that if I got in, she had to take part in King of the Plank. As you can see, she ended up enjoying herself!

After supper is the bonfire and fireworks. Lots of singing, running, and excitment. So far we haven't had any burn injuries, though this year several kids tripped over the trailer hitch of the four-wheeler while running in the dark.

After that, almost 100 very tired people--student and staff alike!--went to bed so they could get up and start school again in the morning. I think this was one of my most enjoyable Independence Days ever, and I'll treasure the memories I made.

Parting shot: One of the older students wanted to paint my face--you can see the artist in the background and the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment