Monday, May 8, 2017

The Teacher has Returned

Well, no matter how well I plan and how good my intentions are, I just can’t seem to manage the last few days of my furloughs as well as I would like! This time I got a grand two hours of sleep before loading up the car for that last drive to Dallas. I had been up late watching a last movie with my family, and then packing my bags and the tubs of my things that needed to be put in storage. I cried when I left my mom to head through security, and I cried when we took off from the state I love. Every time I leave, I am reminded again how deep those pine scented hills and friendly folks are woven into my heartstrings.

While long, my trip to Zambia was pretty uneventful. As usual I had a long layover in Dubai where I was provided with a hotel room so I could do the two things I most wanted in the whole world at that point—take a shower and sleep in a bed. I enjoyed my last Starbucks at the airport, and found the tinniest Nutella jar I’ve ever seen. One of these days I’m going to go out on a tour of Dubai…when I’m not so tired I’m nauseous!

I had two and a half days in Lusaka before heading up to the school, and I spent them with some dear family friends who cheerfully waited for me to get my report order, took me shopping, and treated me to a few last indulgences before heading up country. I am so thankful for their hospitality and kindness. As I have been processing through a lot of emotions and thoughts these last few days, the ‘buffer’ time was much needed. It is also good to be with people who have known me since I was a kindergartener, and who know and love my family.

Now that I’m back up at the school, I have been busy with cleaning in my house, unpacking, getting my classroom straightened out, and sorting through the many details that go into a beginning of term. These are of course compounded because I was away for a term! The students arrived back on Friday, and I spent a large portion of the day in my classroom working through lesson plans and projections. This is my first time with the new term schedule (opening on a weekend), and I’m looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Today was the first real day of classes, and while I could have used an extra half hour or so, it was a good day. I also had to make a run into Ikelenge to run various errands including a stop at immigration, the post office, pick up a basin of tomatoes for the school, and buy a few staple items for myself. All in all it was a productive day; I even got a nap in!

Parting shot: The view towards Kalene--so pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment