Tuesday, December 28, 2010

In which a very, merry Christmas was had, I 'intertained' a few thousand Christmas 'guests', and I kill a mouse.

Well, it has been a wonderful Christmas out here in the bush, and while it would have been even better if my family were here, getting to spend time with my Sakeji family was pretty awesome too.

Us three single ladies enjoyed a progressive, or 'kangaroo,' breakfast that lasted from about 8:30 till 1:30. There was fruit at Jill's, hot crossed buns at my place, and then sausages and eggs at Bethany's. That afternoon we watched a Jeeves and Wooster as my most estimable brother sent me the series on DVD, and then we dispersed to get some things ready for Christmas dinner at the Ronalds. I made our family's famous 'green stuff,' and even though it was chicken and not turkey, it was a wonderful meal spent in wonderful company. We played some Dutch Blitz afterwards--no injuries thankfully!--and then tried out my new Mile Borne game. My family called me at about 10:45 my time and I talked with them till just after 1. I was interrupted during my chat with my dad by a line of ants moving across my dinning room floor. Now, on Christmas Eve I came home from the carol sing at Ronalds to find my house completely surrounded by ants, and a line of ants coming from my spare bedroom, down the hall, and into the dinning room. I sprayed the ants inside, and then called Pam for advice. Apparently cornmeal is a good ant deterrent--they won't cross a line of it, so I sprinkled the places where I most expected invasion. So, when I saw them again on Christmas night, I was annoyed to find out that they were launching their assault on the front door. I sprayed those ants and sprinkled some more cornmeal, and then was able to resume my interrupted conversation. I guess it brought back some memories for my dad of fighting ants at Mukingi.

Last night after checking to make sure there were no ants in the house, I heard a noise that sounded like someone was trying to break into my sewing room. I went to check it out and found that it wasn't the window, but a little chest of drawers that was being attacked. A mouse! I went to retrieve a trap from the kitchen and fish the poison out from under the stove, and I found that the mousetrap under there had sprung with a little furry thief in it, so I got at least one. I heard the other trap go off last night, but when I checked it it was empty. Oh well, maybe he snacked on some of the poison! I'll just sent the trap again tonight and hope for the best. Of all the nerve, chewing on my drawers!

Well, I had better go--I need to get a few things done around the house this morning. I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas, and that you were blessed as you remembered our Savior who humbled Himself to be born in a manger.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good Christmas.. Mice love peanut butter, so put some of that on the trap & viola you will catch another!! Ha

    Hope you have plenty of corn meal..Do ants eat the foundation like termites do?? Hope the year ahead is a good one for you...Hugs gw

    ReplyDelete