Thursday, December 22, 2011

My kids can't get me to shut up...

...and now everyone here wants me to speak!

Today I went out to lunch with my dad and his crew--many of whom have watched me grow up and even worked beside me when I was a student at LU. It was neat to get to catch up with them (and enjoy the Chinese food!) and hear a little about what they are up to. My dad asked me to give a brief update after the meal, so once again I found myself trying to condense 2 years of intense experience into a few minutes. I managed to get through it alright, so I guess I earned my lunch!

Mother and I went up to the fabric store to try and catch our elusive friend Regina--the dear lady who has not only sent me a bunch of craft kits, but takes a very active interest in my life and work in Zambia. She was extremely busy, but found time for a hug and a little chat. I've promised to come back after Christmas when hopefully life will be a little saner for her.

I splurged on a jug of Red Diamond Sweet Tea while in Wal-Mart the other day--oh, there are some things of the South that I have missed! (Dr. Pepper is also in this category) I didn't realize how much Texas was in me until I went to Zambia; while I will always love my little school in the bush, I will also always love the place where I was born and bred. The state where oak is live, big trucks abound, folks speak with a drawl, and the rebel spirit lives on. I hope I never get to the point where my heart stops jumping as I step off the plane in Dallas and think, "This is my own, my native land."

No comments:

Post a Comment