Saturday, September 28, 2013

Never a dull moment...

My kids were peacefully taking a math test yesterday morning, when some interesting sounds started to come from the classroom down the hall. First, there was a sudden cacophony of voices and scraping chairs that signaled some reason for alarm. As the kids continued to chatter loudly, there came some loud smacking sounds followed by a high pitched "Squeak! Squeak!" More smacking, more squealing, and then things settled down. Turns out that a mother and a baby bat had fallen out of the ceiling tiles, and Janette was dispatching the mother. At tea time, I found a knot of fourth and fifth graders surrounding one student holding a tin containing the baby bat. I confiscated it amide cries of, "Are you going to take care of the baby bat?" Oh yes, that bat will be taken care of... What they didn't see was me dumping it unceremoniously in my garbage pit. You never know what you will have to deal with as a teacher in the bush!

1 comment:

  1. Knowing kids, they enjoyed the change of pace while teacher was killing the bat !!.Ha Kids love to sidetrack a teacher. Glad things are going well for you. Hope the rains do come as they should, as the right amount of moisture is a blessing. I remember the rain washing out your road about 4 years ago. That was a real mess. Sorry I was not able to see you while you were in the US but know you are in my prayers. Love gw.

    ReplyDelete