Friday, May 30, 2014

A birthday, some star gazing, and the first half-term

This week was my birthday, and my students and co-workers helped to make it a special day. Beth made me an ice cream cake, and I got to talk to some of my family. Several of the kids made me cards or gave me a note, and I had a particularly fun junior music class.

Last night after the half-term video I took my grade 6 and 7 boys out to do a bit of star gazing and to see some planets through the telescope. We looked at Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn as well as clearing up where the Southern Cross is locate...in the south...not the north! After one boy looked at Saturn, he said "Okay, now I'm going to stay here all night!" I also got a kick out of the way they freaked out at every little noise. Apparently I live in a terribly scary 'neighborhood'--the odd jackal and monitor lizard makes it intolerable! We'll see how the girls do when I take them out tonight...

This morning I got up early, made some hot chocolate, and took the kids out for early morning swim. Again, all the shrieking and screaming came from the boys! Here are the kids enjoying the fire in the chota.

Half-term is such a welcome break from routine--I'm looking forward to getting caught up on some marking and projects over half-term, as well as some sleep! The kids need a break from the classroom just as much as we do, and it's nice to get to interact with them in different ways as we play and relax a bit. Monday morning, on the other hand, will be a bit interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment