Saturday, March 12, 2016

Student Howlers or Sometimes You Don’t Know Whether to Laugh or Cry

This week has been a long, weary fight. A fight against way to much late homework, a fight against lame excuses, and a fight against the growing tide of apathy resulting from the countdowns being up in the dorm. So, here are some of the things that have had me laughing in the midst of all my battles. Student ‘howlers’ that have made me laugh out loud while marking less than stellar papers and worksheets. All of these were penned by real live grade 6 or 7 students in my classroom this term; no brains were harmed in the producing of these lines!

“lemon rhine” instead of rinds

“breath-stroke”

“The Persian Golf”

“The worst thing at Riley plantation is being wept with the cattle nine tail.”

“gumy bares.”

"The Gulls overcome" when translating a Latin sentence

I am one of those fiendish grammar teachers who likes to ask kids to write sentences to prove that they actually know how to apply those rules I'm teaching them. I always tell my kids to have as much fun as they can with them--just make sure they meet the requirements. This is now my all time favorite interrogative sentence:
"Miss Burklin, do you become batman after light out?"

I wish... I wish...

Parting shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment