Friday, January 24, 2014

Construction of more than one kind...

As there are some big changes taking place around station, I thought I’d take some pictures of them while I was thinking about it. Down by my house will become a new container depot, so they are working on building a slab. There will eventually be a roof over them as well, but right now there are just some stones and a bit of cement to show where the slab will be. I was sorry about the trees that had to be cut down, but it will be nice to have things more accessible.

Yesterday was the day when the guys emptied out the attic of the main sitting room and moved it onto the stage in the hall so that they can get to work on the ceilings. The attic is a scary place full of guano, dirt, and the ‘wealth of ages.’ The floor was made of these thin boards that flexed distressingly as you walked over them, and I often felt like I was about to go shooting through the main sitting room ceiling. It was also stuffy and hot up there, so digging for supplies for crafts was not a favorite activity! Now the front of the hall is piled with musty stuff that will need to be sorted. I’m just glad it wasn’t me up that ladder…

This week we had our second Latin lesson, and we all had a blast! I’m so tickled that the kids are enjoying this—I think its going to benefit them on so many levels. We’re also really enjoying our literature novel, Holes. We have a bunch of yellow-spotted lizards on our board right now—I’m glad they aren’t real!

A specific prayer request for me in these next few weeks is for wisdom in how to 'build' my grade 6's into the kind of students that they need to be. I realize that it's the beginning of the year and that I'll probably be amazed in December at how far they have come, but right now it's a little discouraging to see how little work they are able to handle. I need to figure out how to push them without overwhelming them...so I'm definitely going to the Lord for wisdom on this one!

I’m off this weekend, so I’m looking forward to getting some rest and doing some planning. It’s amazing how your body gets into routines and schedules… At the end of two weeks I’m always exhausted! Naps are a good thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment